We could all use a What Not To Do for navigating the pitfalls that crop up the moment you start working with other people. Even if you swear blind you don’t participate in office politics, you still need to be aware of what’s going on so you don’t get blindsided by other people’s agendas.
Our Twitter #careerchat discussed how to make office politics work for YOU.
Key takeaways from the chat:
- Office politics happen whether you want them to or not. Learn to thrive in the workplace with the relationships you develop up and down the chain of command.
- Trying to avoid office politics is an ineffective strategy. It’s better to be a good listener, empathize without agreeing and be a problem solver.
- Don’t make the mistake of thinking office politics are always negative. Build smart relationships with ethical people who support you.
- Finding a good mentor or role model in your company can be the greatest tool you have for managing office politics. Identify who the key players are and who has credibility and knowledge.
- Leverage likability–you may have to go against the “norm” to get best results. But if you want to make a difference, it’s how you do it more than what you do.
- How you handle office politics is a reflection of your communication skills and character. You always need to be aware of your personal brand.
- Best practices: Listen. Learn. Know your competition. Probe for information. Lead.
- Don’ts: Don’t gossip. Don’t badmouth others. Don’t whine!
- 7 Habits to Win in Office Politics
- Office Politics by Marilyn Moats Kennedy
- How to Downplay the Office Drama Queen!
- Favoritism—Are You the Office Darling?
- Office Politics: Submit your dilemma, read advice!
Special thanks to @jelfster, @SaleStart, @TECMidwest, @3D_EXHIBITS, @DrWoody, @dwilde, @pushingvision, @BlogLuvr29, @PaigeHolden, @CindyRichards, @Careerbright, @buzzandrea, @PushJobs, @RossLeadership, @WomensAlly and @davidawinter.
Join our Twitter #careerchat Tuesdays @ 12 PM CT to talk about everything from friending your boss on Facebook to personal branding to how to get a call back from recruiter.
How to join: Go to Tweetchat.com and follow the hashtag “careerchat” at noon CT every Tuesday!