Is traveling for work uber-glamorous or just another part of the job? How do you manage your life at home when you’re on the road?
Our Twitter #careerchat explored the truths about traveling for work. Business travel can be stressful, but with the right perspective, you can turn any travel experience into a great opportunity.
Takeaways from the chat:
- You’re always on the clock. Represent yourself and your company positively at all times, and don’t risk behavior that could get you fired.
- Don’t take traveling for granted. Even if you have back-to-back meetings, find time to explore.
- Make yourself unplug. It’s easy to spend all day and night working, without a break, especially if your sleep schedule is disrupted..
- Keep your diet and exercise routine as close to normal as possible. Stay at hotels with gyms or nearby parks. Wear your walking shoes on the plane.
- If you’re looking for a job that includes travel, look for positions in the Sales Support, Implementation and Auditing functions.
- You need to love the job you’re doing regardless of travel. Travel should be the bonus.
- Working Out While Traveling on bizme.biz
- Curated travel application list of mobile apps
- Take your workout with you with TRX
- Create a personal “team” to text or call your family with the Fast Society mobile app
- Business Travel Tips and Resources from Entrepreneur Magazine
- Fitness tips for business travelers
- Traveling alone—enlivening that time
- Traveling for Work: 6 Easy Ways to Track Travel Expenses
- Managing Life and Work While Traveling: Phone, Mail, and Internet
- For international travel, always do your homework to understand the customs of your client base. Try Kiss, Bow, or Shake Hands.
Special thanks to @myFootpath, @JohnAntonios, @Kblennon, @DrWoody, @michmerc, @ASQ_Trish, @navitasHR and @kbaumann.
Join our Twitter #careerchat Tuesdays @ 12 PM CT to talk about everything from friending your boss on Facebook to personal branding to how to get a call back from recruiter.
How to join: Go to Tweetchat.com and follow the hashtag “careerchat” at noon CT every Tuesday!